[statnet_help] Evaluation our curriculum with ergms?

Joshua Dohmen jdohmen at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Jan 17 02:15:52 PST 2020

Hello,

thank you for the questions. I don't want to take too much of your time, so I'll try to keep it as short as possible without leaving out anything important. I use a pedagogical theory that was written in German, so there might be some translation issues.

In general I am interested in learning processes within organizations. Here the exchange of "organization-related knowledge" plays an important role. In my case: When students join the university, they not only have to learn the contents of their curriculum, but also how the university works as an organizational system. Based on this assumption, we have implemented study partnerships in our BA Pedagogy program to encourage the knowledge sharing. My question is whether the study partnerships are of lasting importance or only have an effect in the initial phase of the study.

More detailed to the questions:

1. how you define a "link" between two students? Since I cannot look into the heads of my students, I have to measure knowledge sharing indirectly. So I ask who is usually present at certain typical occasions for the exchange of organization-related knowledge (assuming that it really happens).

2. how did you operationalize this in the survey? Together with the students, I have developed four different name generators for (informal and formal) occasions of knowledge sharing, e.g.: "If discussions about the university are held in the cafeteria during lunch break, which fellow students from your program and semester are usually involved in these discussions?"

3. did you collect data from every student in the study groups? Yes, I created a web based form with an auto-complete function ("type the first few letters of a name") and automatic name validation ("this name does not exist"). Nearly all students of the year took part in the survey. Of course there were some dropouts between the two survey dates (June 2018 and Nov 2019) because some students left the university. For the analysis the names of the students were transformed into unique tokens ("Joshua Dohmen" --> "txQ1zgP23"), so that I can't link the results (e.g. indegree) to a certain clear name.

Maybe important: The assignment of the students to the study partnership was random.

This is what the graphs look like: https://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~organisation/Network.png

Many thanks for all your help!
Joshua