[statnet_help] STERGM: links driving attribute change

martina morris morrism at uw.edu
Wed Feb 5 11:14:38 PST 2020

Hi Josh,

It is not possible to do that using STERGM alone -- STERGM, like ERGM,
is a model for tie process only (not nodal attributes).

But you could probably use the EpiModel package to do this. EpiModel uses
ergm/tergm to represent the tie formation/dissolution process, but then
uses other code to update nodal attributes as a function of the ties. It
was designed for epidemic modeling, where ties allow for transmission (and
thus changing nodal status) over time.

We have lots of info up online, and there's a dedicated EpiModel help
list. See: epimodel.org and http://statnet.github.io/nme/

I don't know if this will meet your needs, but let us know if you have any
questions.

best,
mm

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020, Joshua Dohmen wrote:

> Hi list,

> Is it possible to model weather tie-formation/tie-dissolution leads to attribute change (using

> stergm)?

> This been a topic here:

> [statnet_help] STERGM and selection vs influence:

> http://mailman13.u.washington.edu/mailman/htdig/statnet_help/2014/001713.html

> [statnet_help] STERGM with time-varying nodal covariates:

> http://mailman13.u.washington.edu/pipermail/statnet_help/2012/001324.html

> What would the interpretation look like?

> If a node i is involved in tie-formation (between t1 and t2) -- ... is it likely for i to take

> over the attribute value of j? …is it likely for i and j to have the same attribute value at t2?

> And when the attribute is numeric -- … the value difference is getting smaller?

> The postings are already a little bit older. If there are some new developments that I might not

> have found, I would be happy to hear about it.

> Regards,

> Joshua

Professor of Sociology and Statistics
Box 354322