[statnet_help] Network Modeling for Epidemics -- Summer short course at the University of Washington -- 17-21 August, 2020 - UPDATES

Steven Goodreau goodreau at uw.edu
Thu Apr 9 15:39:32 PDT 2020

Hello all -

A reminder about our summer course, and a COVID-19 update.

Best,
Steve Goodreau, Martina Morris, Sam Jenness

April 2020 COVID-19 Update
Due to the travel restrictions associated with the COVID-19 global
pandemic, we have updated our plans for NME 2020 as follows:

In addition to the standard in-person workshop format, we will be
offering a concurrent virtual, web-based option for participation in NME
2020. This web-based option will be hosted live via Zoom (or related
technology), concurrent with the in-person workshop. Virtual students
will access our lectures live (during our regular class hours) and/or in
recorded form, complete and submit the interactive lab activities online
for instructor comment and evaluation, and discuss the material with the
instructors via video-based and text-based chats. Although the class
interactions will be more limited with the virtual option, the
instructors will
make every effort to deliver and discuss the material collectively to
engage both in-person and virtual students. If you are interested in the
virtual option, please indicate this on your application.

We will continue to monitor whether we can hold the in-person NME 2020
due to ongoing travel restrictions over the next 2 months. By June 1, we
will make the final determination about whether the in-person NME 2020
will be held. If an in-person NME is not possible, we will conduct NME
2020 fully in a virtual format. We will contact everyone registered for
NME 2020 by email on June 1 with our decision.

On 2/17/2020 7:15 PM, Steven Goodreau wrote:

> ############################################################################

> Network Modeling for Epidemics

> Summer short course at the University of Washington

> 17-21 August, 2020

> Network Modeling for Epidemics (NME) is a 5-day short course at the

> University of Washington that provides an introduction to stochastic

> network models for infectious disease transmission dynamics, with a

> focus on empirically based modeling of HIV transmission. It is a

> ''hands-on'' course, using the EpiModel software package in R

> (www.epimodel.org). EpiModel provides a unified framework for

> statistically based modeling of dynamic networks from empirical data,

> and simulation of epidemic dynamics on these networks. It has a

> flexible open-source platform for learning and building several types

> of epidemic models: deterministic compartmental, stochastic

> individual-based, and stochastic network models. Resources include

> simple models that run in a browser window, built-in generic models

> that provide basic control over population contact patterns, pathogen

> properties and demographics, and templates for user-programmed modules

> that allow EpiModel to be extended to the full range of pathogens,

> hosts, and disease dynamics for advanced research. This course will

> touch on the deterministic and individual-based models, but its

> primary focus is on the theory, methods and application of network

> models.

> The course uses a mix of lectures, tutorials, and labs with students

> working in small groups. On the final day, students work to develop an

> EpiModel prototype model (either individually or in groups based on

> shared research interests), with input from the instructors, including

> the lead EpiModel software developer, Dr. Samuel Jenness.

> Returning students: We encourage previous attendees with active

> modeling projects to apply to return for a refresher course. The

> EpiModel package has been significantly enhanced over the last few

> years. Returning students with active projects will have the

> opportunity to work with course instructors to address key challenges

> in the design of their network model code.

> *Dates and location:*

> The course will be taught from Monday, August 17 to Friday, August 21

> on the University of Washington campus in Seattle.

> *Costs:*

> Course fee is $800. Travel and accommodation costs are the

> responsibility of the participant, although discounted hotel rates are

> available. We offer a limited number of fee waivers for pre-doctoral

> students or for attendees from low income countries. These cover

> waiver of the registration fee only; travel and accommodation are

> still the responsibility of the fee waiver recipient.

> *Application dates and decision dates:*

> *    Apr 19: Fee-waiver application deadline. Decisions will be made

> by Apr 30, and response required by May 15.

> [...]

Steven M. Goodreau / Professor / Dept. of Anthropology
Physical address: Denny Hall M236
Mailing address: Campus Box 353100 / 4216 Memorial Way NE
Univ. of Washington / Seattle WA 98195
1-206-685-3870 (phone) /1-206-543-3285 (fax)
http://faculty.washington.edu/goodreau