[statnet_help] DGWESP/DGWDSP terms with node attributes

Marc Sarazin marc.sarazin at uclouvain.be
Thu Apr 23 23:49:54 PDT 2020

Dear statnetters,

I hope you are all well and staying safe.

In a nutshell: has anyone come up with versions of directed GWESP/GWDSP terms that only take into account nodes with the same values for a categorical attribute (e.g. à la ttriple(attr = "attribute", diff = TRUE))?

The longer version: I am attempting to model the presence of different kinds of triangles among nodes that share the same categorical attribute in my network, given the general presence of triangular structures. I have tried fitting models with triangle or ttriple terms specifically for the attribute (e.g. triangle(attr = "attribute", diff = TRUE), alongside a general directed GWESP term (path closure configuration, with fixed decay). Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) the models don't come close to converging. The same model without the triangle/ttriple terms fits perfectly well.

My suspicion is that this is due to the non-convergence issues encountered with Markov dependence terms. Therefore, I'd like to use a GWESP term that counts only edgewise shared partners with the same nodal attribute instead, but this term isn't currently available. I was wondering then if anyone had developed such an attribute-based GWESP term? Eventually I'll want to look at closure processes as well-so has anyone equally developed an equivalent GWDSP term? Or are there known problems that make developing such terms difficult? Alternatively, has anyone come up with workarounds to using such terms (that don't involve splitting the network according to the attribute in question-which is of course not ideal)? For info, my attribute divides the nodes of my network evenly into 5 groups (it is based on quintiles of a continuous quantitative attribute)

Very best wishes,
Marc

--
Dr Marc Sarazin