[statnet_help] node entry and exit in TERGMs

Christian Steglich c.e.g.steglich at rug.nl
Tue Aug 18 00:41:36 PDT 2020

Hi Holly and all,

if you're prepared to switch to the continuous-time framework of
stochastic actor-oriented network models, the RSiena software offers a
solution in which entry and exit times can be used as exogenous
information:

*
Huisman, M., & Snijders, T. A. (2003). Statistical analysis of
longitudinal network data with changing composition. /Sociological
methods & research/, /32/(2), 253-287.

Interestingly, there is at least one published TERGM paper in which the
networks over time are assumed to be independent observations of
changing size, so composition change (in this case: network exit only)
is implicitly handled as "sampling another independent network of
different size from the same ERGM parameters":

*
Czarna, A. Z., Leifeld, P., Śmieja, M., Dufner, M., & Salovey, P.
(2016). Do narcissism and emotional intelligence win us friends?
Modeling dynamics of peer popularity using inferential network
analysis. /Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin/, /42/(11),
1588-1599.

I would personally strongly recommend against taking such an approach,
for various reasons - but then, I am not a TERGM user and do not know
about common practice in this part of the methods garden. In fact, I'd
be eager to read any arguments that might justify such an approach.

All the best, Christian

On 18-8-2020 6:51, Zack Almquist wrote:

> Hi Holly and Carter,

> Just to follow Carter's link, since I think my email didn't post.

> One approach would be to use to dnr package

> (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/dnr/index.html) which is

> based on

> Almquist, Zack W., and Carter T. Butts. "Logistic network regression

> for scalable analysis of networks with joint edge/vertex dynamics."

> /Sociological methodology/ 44.1 (2014): 273-321.

> and

> Mallik, Abhirup, and Zack W. Almquist. "Stable Multiple Time Step

> Simulation/Prediction From Lagged Dynamic Network Regression Models."

> /Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics/ 28.4 (2019): 967-979.

> Best,

> Zack

> ---

> Zack W. Almquist

> Assistant Professor

> Department of Sociology

> Senior Data Scientist Fellow, eScience Institute

> University of Washington

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 9:46 PM Carter T. Butts <buttsc at uci.edu

> <mailto:buttsc at uci.edu>> wrote:

> Hi, Holly -

> This can certainly be done, although it requires a non-trivial

> extension of the modeling framework.  One treatment can be found

> here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4479214/

> Hope that helps!

> -Carter

> On 8/17/20 12:46 PM, Holly Loncarich wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I hope that everyone is having a good start to their semester! I

>> am attempting to use a TERGM over a time period of five years on

>> a strategic alliance dataset. I was wondering if anyone has any

>> advice or could point me to any resources on handling node entry

>> and exit in the TERGM analysis? I am very new to TERGMs and would

>> appreciate any thoughts or comments.

>> Thank you,

>> Holly

>> Holly Loncarich

>> PhD Candidate

>> Walton College of Business

>> University of Arkansas

*Interuniversity Centre for Social Science Theory & Methodology*
Department of Sociology, Grote Rozenstraat 31, NL-9712 TG GRONINGEN
https://steglich.gmw.rug.nl