[statnet_help] Modeling group formation with ERGMs

Hoffman Marion marion.hoffman at gess.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 20 02:59:52 PDT 2020

Hi Flavien,

It just happens that I've been working on a model specifically for such data (together with Per Block and Tom Snijders), since I believe classic ERGMs are not ideally suited for them. The idea is to define exponential family distributions for partitions of nodes (sets of exclusive groups of nodes) instead of networks, in order to capture the particular constraints and dependencies of this type of group structures.
Much of the theory relies on similar bases as the ERGM, but model specifications and interpretations differ and sufficient statistics/effects are defined at the level of groups rather than dyads. For example, modelling homophily at the group level can then be done in different ways (for example you might say that a group is homophilous if everyone is the same, or if everyone has at least 1 person similar to them in the group, etc.).

So far I have used it to model the composition of teams formed during hackathons and physical group gatherings, so it seems to fit to your problem. Unfortunately the paper explaining all the math and strategies to specify/estimate such model is in the submission process right now... But if you're interested, I can share a conference presentation and maybe we can have a chat.

Let me know if you're interested. I hope it helps you figuring out how to analyze your data.

Best regards!

Marion Hoffman
PhD Student
Chair of Social Networks