[statnet_help] Convergence assessment in small networks/with limited data

martina morris morrism at uw.edu
Fri Oct 2 11:31:37 PDT 2020

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020, David Kretschmer wrote:

> thank you very much for the extremely helpful reply! I wasn’t aware of the fact that the distribution/density plots do

> not bear significance for convergence but only for inference, but what you described makes perfect sense. Given that

> parameter estimates (and standard errors) in my analysis are fed into a meta-regression model rather than used for

> network-level inference, I suppose that this is less of a problem for my setup.

the one caveat for this is that if the MCMC netstat distribution plots are
bimodal, which should also be seen in the traceplots as jumps between high
and low values of the stats, this is not ideal. more below at your q2

> I do have two brief follow-up questions and would be very grateful if you could provide some insight on these too:

> 1. Regarding the “fuzzy caterpillar”: Given the few observations for the network statistics, the Markov Chain frequently

> only jumps between a very small number of discrete values (say deviations from the observed value of -1, 0, 1, and 2).

> Therefore, the chain frequently does not look like a fuzzy caterpillar. However, I suppose that this also is a direct

> consequence of the low observed number for the network statistic and not an indicator of bad convergence? I suppose that

> the criterion for MCMC convergence that the chain explores the parameter space then is still fulfilled, but that the

> parameter space just is much smaller in these situations?

yes. it just means the fuzz doesn't extend far from the deviation = 0
reference line. you can increase the MCMC.interval and MCMC.sample to 1e5
and see if the correlation is reduced, but the range probably won't
change.

> 2. In some cases, the chains only alternate between deviations from the observed statistic of -1 and 1, and either never

> or only infrequently take on a deviation of 0. (In the density/distribution plot, this is reflected in a u-shaped

> distribution, with low density at a value of 0 and high density at -1 and 1). Do you have any idea for why this pattern

> occurs and what this means for convergence?

bimodal distributions are one dx for model degeneracy -- and they imply
model misspecification. the model is reproducing the mean values of the
sufficient statistics (the netstats) by averaging over values that are too
high, and too low (see
https://csss.uw.edu/research/working-papers/assessing-degeneracy-statistical-models-social-networks)

if the deviation values bounce back and forth between 1 and -1, you're not
in the classic degeneracy situation where the counts are way off in both
directions, so the question is really what happens when you simulate from
the fitted model. normally, that should be assessed with the GOF plots,
not the MCMC plots, and in particular gof ~ model (by default, this is one
of the plots output from that function). but the boxplots in that routine
would obscure a persistent bimodal pattern. with your small network, i'd
suggest visual inspection of the networks produced by the simulation, to
see if they look markedly different than your observed net.

morrism at u.washington.edu
http://faculty.washington.edu/morrism/