[statnet_help] Error of nodesqrtcovar terms in valued ERGM

Yu-Lun Chen ylc317 at nyu.edu
Wed Dec 23 20:40:31 PST 2020

Hello Pavel,

Thank you so much for your quick response and assistance! The codes worked
like a charm. Thank you again for the great software; I very much
appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Yu-Lun

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 6:19 PM Pavel N. Krivitsky <p.krivitsky at unsw.edu.au>
wrote:

> Dear Yu-Lun,

> Indeed, it looks like a bug in the term definition. Thanks for reporting

> it! You can get a fix by installing from the GitHub repository, though you

> may be able to get it to work before the next release by evaluating the

> following code:

> InitWtErgmTerm.nodeisqrtcovar<-function (nw, arglist, response, ...) {

> ### Check the network and arguments to make sure they are appropriate.

> a <- check.ErgmTerm(nw, arglist, directed = TRUE, nonnegative=TRUE, response=response,

> varnames = c(),

> vartypes = c(),

> defaultvalues = list(),

> required = c())

> ### Process the arguments

> list(name="nodeisqrtcovar",

> coef.names = "nodeisqrtcovar",

> dependence = TRUE,

> # arithmetic mean >= geometric mean

> minval = 0

> )

> }

> I hope this helps,

> Pavel

> On Wed, 2020-12-23 at 15:42 -0500, Yu-Lun Chen wrote:

> Dear all,

> Good day! I am fitting directed, valued ERGMs for relatively small social

> networks (12 nodes), where I experience issues with nodeisqrtcovar and

> nodeosqrtcovar terms. I intended to model Individual heterogeneity for both

> out-and in-degrees, yet I wasn't able to include both terms in the model.

> The error reads:

> Error in check.ErgmTerm(nw, arglist, directed = TRUE, nonnegative = TRUE,

> :

> all_identical(c(length(varnames), length(vartypes),

> length(defaultvalues), .... is not TRUE

> Instead, when I tried either term or the undirected term (nodesqrtcovar),

> the model worked out fine, only that nodesqrtcovar tended to show

> convergence issues. Is it possible to fit nodeisqrtcovar and nodeosqrtcovar

> terms simultaneously? Thank you so much!

> Happy holidays,

> Yu-Lun

Yu-Lun Chen, M.S., OTR
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Occupational Therapy
Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
New York University
Pronouns: she, her(s)

Website <https://wp.nyu.edu/yulun_chen/> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/yu-lun-chen-585784189/> | ResearchGate