[statnet_help] standardized coefficients in ERGMs

Carter T. Butts buttsc at uci.edu
Thu Jun 16 20:58:22 PDT 2022

Hi, Jing -

Robert's email pointed out some of the complexities here, but I think
one might even more usefully turn the question around.  What do does one
/want to mean/ by an effect size?  By a standardized coefficient?  Once
that is decided, one can determine (1) if such a quantity is
well-defined, and (2) if so, how it can be calculated.  As Robert
observed, many ideas that analysts have about effect sizes and
standardization are actually special properties of linear models, and do
not generalize to the non-linear world.  Such ideas are of limited use
in understanding even logistic regression, much less complex systems
with "feedback" among the elements (which is what we ERGMs are
representing).  But, on the other hand, there are lots of ways to talk
about effects and relative effects that can be useful for comparative
purposes.  For instance:

 - Trivially, the ERGM coefficients tell you about how the conditional
log odds of an edge vary as a function of the covariates, and the rest
of the graph.  This provides an effect that has a consistent meaning
across networks, and indeed is about as comparable as anything gets in a
nonlinear model.  (The meaning is /local/, in the sense that the change
in log odds is taken relative to a particular state, but that's the
price of living in a nonlinear world.)  For quantitative covariate
effects, one can pick any scale one wants, so if you wanted to partially
"standardize" by scaling the covariates to have unit variance, one could
do this.  (I tend to think that this type of practice usually causes
more problems than it solves in the long run, but there's nothing
illegitimate about it.)

 - Via conditional simulation, one can evaluate e.g. the expected
change in one or more target statistics, as a function of change in one
(or a combination of) parameters.  This is local with respect to the
parameter vector, and may or may not be useful to compare across graphs
depending on one's choice of statistics, but it does capture (local)
"net" effects due to feedback between statistics, etc.  If one has a
concrete substantive question relating to some aspect of network
structure, computing such effects may be insightful.  One can, further,
partially "standardize" these effects by scaling them by the standard
deviation of the target statistics (or a function thereof) at the base
parameter vector.  This gives you the expected change in statistics per
unit change in parameters (local to the current base value), in units of
the standard deviation in those statistics.  As with the above case,
whether this is a good idea depends on what you want to know, but it can
be helpful in giving you a sense of the extent to which small changes in
the parameters are making a large difference in network structure,
relative to the variation that you would naturally expect to see in that
structure.

 - I'm a fan these days of scenario evaluations, and things like
virtual "knock-out" experiments: in the latter case, we compare the
expectation of some target statistic (or some other distributional
statistic) for particular parameters (e.g., the MLE of a fitted model)
with what we get if one or more terms in the model are set to zero.
That is, we reach in and "turn off" the term, and see what it does to
the graph (as is done physically in a knock-out experiment, where one
might e.g., "turn off" expression of some gene in a mouse and see what
effect it has). This can be useful as a probe to better understand how
particular mechanisms are contributing to the overall behavior of the
model, and can be used to construct a certain type of "effect size"
based on how the target changes when specific effects are removed.
(Whether that is useful depends on what you want to know, of course, but
it can be insightful.)  We can of course do knock-down/knock-in/knock-up
versions, as well, as well as versions where we modify e.g. covariates
rather than parameters - all boil down to trying to understand the
implications of model terms on substantive behavior by comparing across
hypothetical scenarios (whether of empirically plausible or entirely
conceptual nature).

 - In some physical settings, the ERGM parameters have a pretty
concrete meaning as effective forces: setting aside things like
contributions from the reference measure, a given parameter is the
energy per unit change in the statistic, times -1/(kT) where T is the
system temperature and k is Boltzmann's constant.  So, what we see is
the (additive inverse of the) energetic cost of changing a given
statistic by one unit, relative to the size of typical energy
fluctuations (i.e., kT).  Admittedly, this is not as immediately helpful
for social networks, but there are other settings where T is known, and
the adjusted parameters then have a very direct and absolute
interpretation.  From this vantage point, our usual coefficients are
already standardized, in the sense that they reflect (to gloss it a bit)
costs of changing the graph relative to available resources.  I think
this can be pushed a bit further even in the social case, but I think it
is safe to say that this is still something that is being worked out.
We'll have to see where it leads.

Anyway, those are just a few of the examples of things that folks are
doing in this area.  I agree with Robert that we're not going to have
some simple, generic recipe for how to think about effects that is ideal
in all cases, but that doesn't exist even for linear models.  By turns,
we have quite a lot of powerful ways to use and interpret the
coefficients that we have, and I think that folks will continue to come
up with new ones as the number of applications grows.  What needs to be
in the driver's seat, in my view, are the substantive questions.  If
folks know and can clearly articulate what they are trying to learn,
then they are likely to be able to come up with ways to measure the
right quantities.

Hope that is helpful,

-Carter