[Ssnet_list] Design as research and inquiry - Spring HCDE 555

Daniela K Rosner dkrosner at uw.edu
Mon Mar 4 16:26:15 PST 2024

Hi all,

I'm excited to announce that I'll be teaching a 'hands-on' PhD seminar this
spring on design and knowledge production. Please take a look below and
let me know if you have any questions. Hoping to see some of you in class!

All the best,
Daniela

*Design as research and inquiry*
HCDE 555 MW 330-520 SIG 329 / Prof. Daniela Rosner

This seminar introduces students to the methodological range of design
practices and performances for knowledge production. Where design research
tends to emphasize empirically grounded insights with implications for
technology development, design inquiry tends to organize critical questions
and tensions, offering points for further reflection and analysis. Whether
grappling with racial capitalist underpinnings of technology development or
looking for moments to transcend them, design scholars work to treat design
as a dialogical performance of making and questioning. Through close
readings and in-class exercises, students will examine the genealogies of
distinct approaches to gain fresh perspectives on critical feminist,
antiracist and decolonial techniques. With roots in both engineering and
humanistic fields, the methods explored help chart alternative epistemic
formations across fields of design studies, science and technology studies,
critical technical practice and more.

--
Daniela K. Rosner, Associate Professor