[statnet_help] ERGM constraints and subgroups

Sarah Piombo piombo at usc.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:26:00 PDT 2022

Hi,

I have a question about the best way to specify ERGM constraints for my
data.
I have a network of ~1500 nodes and 8500 edges.
The individuals live in 8 different villages, ~7000 edges are within
villages while 1500 edges are between villages.
I initially used a block diagonal model to only allow edges within the same
village and this worked great, but without that constraint I have
difficulty getting the model to converge with dyad dependent terms.
Ideally I would like the between village ties to be possible but less
probable than the within village ties.
1. What is the best way to do this? Is it possible with the blocks operator
or another approach?
2. Any other suggestions or considerations (should I consider using
ergm.multi?)
Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

--
*Sarah Piombo, PhD(c), MPH*
Doctoral Candidate

Department of Population and Public Health Sciences

Keck School of Medicine | University of Southern California

https://sarahpiombo.com