[statnet_help] question about standardized coefficients in MR-QAP

Carter T. Butts buttsc at uci.edu
Wed Jun 22 01:00:14 PDT 2022

Hi, Longxia Huo -

OLS network regression coefficients (as obtained e.g., from netlm) can
be interpreted in the same fashion as any other linear regression
coefficients - they are, in fact, exactly equivalent to vectorizing the
dependent network and regressing it on the vectorized versions of the
independent networks.  So, in that regard, effect sizes and such have
their usual linear meanings (provided that one interprets them in terms
of edge variables, and sticks to descriptive statements - some
inferential ones can also be justified, but beware of anything that
requires an independence assumption).  By turns, the QAP null hypothesis
tests are just that (tests), and you would not want to use QAP quantiles
as a proxy for effect sizes, or otherwise compare them across models.
(At least, not without some guiding theory, and I'm not aware of
anything apposite.)

Hope that helps!

-Carter