[statnet_help] A question about AIC/BIC in ERGMs

Carter T. Butts buttsc at uci.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:32:21 PST 2022

Hi, Steffen -

On 11/14/22 4:08 AM, Steffen Triebel wrote:

> Greetings statnet-users,

> I have read Hunter et al. 2008 (specifically p. 256ff.) about how AIC

> may not be the best criterion to evaluate ERGMs and that this is even

> more true for BIC. However, while I am also reporting and discussing

> the statistics/visual representations estimated through the

> gof-function, it is common in my field to report AIC/BIC values in

> ERGMs and discuss them.

I think that the 2008 papers sounded an appropriately cautious note,
given what we knew at that time.  (I would count myself heavily on the
"cautious" end in that case - we had very little theory on the matter,
and not much experience.)  At this point, however, we know a lot more.
I'll give a particular shout out to Michael Schweinberger, who has done
a lot of important theoretical work in showing that the asymptotic and
finite-N concentration behavior we'd hope to see in ERGMs does (so far)
seem to be present in reasonable cases.  There's a lot more to be done
there, but we now know that the dependence problem is less of a barrier
to using conventional approximations than might have been feared. On the
practical side, we also by now have a lot of simulation results (done by
various people in various papers) that again show that the frequentist
properties of the ERGM MLE seem to be pretty good for reasonable models
of the type that people use.  This is also encouraging.  With respect to
the AIC and BIC, our own simulation studies have so far indicated that
using the BIC based on nominal degrees of freedom is annoyingly and
unreasonably good for typical ERGMs (or at least, the ones we have
looked at).  (I say "annoyingly and unreasonably" because BIC selection
often beats alternatives even for outcomes for which it is not
technically designed, including alternatives lovingly crafted to be
superior for particular model selection goals.  My experience to date
has been that it is very hard to beat the BIC for the sorts of
relatively low-dimensional models that we typically use in the field.)
I'm unfortunately unaware of a good published comparison among model
selection schemes (what I am describing above is unpublished), but that
has been our experience so far.

> I am modeling a large two-mode network and am a bit puzzled about the

> AIC/BIC values, as they are very large. My assumption is that the size

> of these values is due to the large network (about 9000 “actors” and

> 500 “groups”).

The AIC and BIC are both penalized deviance metrics.  Their underlying
rationales are different, but the actual metrics differ only in the
penalty applied to the deviance.  For the AIC, this is 2 per model
degree of freedom, and for the BIC it is the number of model degrees of
freedom multiplied by the log of the data degrees of freedom.  We do not
know the effective degrees of freedom in typical ERGM settings, but can
use the nominal degrees of freedom (i.e., the number of edge variables)
as a proxy; one can show that this approximation is unlikely to matter
much in practice, and indeed it seems not to in my experience with
typical models. Since the "core" of the metric in both cases is the
deviance, you will see the values become larger when the network is
large. Exactly how much larger will depend on a lot of things, but at
constant density you would usually expect to see the deviance scale
roughly with the square of the number of vertices.  (Of course, the
density won't be constant in real life - it will usually fall as 1/N -
but that at least gives you a sense of why it grows.)

> My main question is what to make of the differences in AIC values. In

> Kim et al. (2016), the AIC value of 1196 compared to 1264 is

> interpreted as “substantially smaller”. The AIC values in my models

> are 123352 versus 125383. I am unsure if the absolute or relative

> difference matters: If the absolute difference matters, then a

> difference of 2031 would also mean the AIC is “substantially smaller”.

> If the relative difference matters, than the AIC in my models will

> have reduced around 1/60^th versus roughly 1/20^th in the work I

> referred in this paragraph.

Generally, it is difficult to talk about "big" or "small" differences
absent some additional context.  But some heuristics are helpful.  Under
the AIC, a deviance improvement of 2 units is needed to justify adding
another degree of freedom to your model, so you can heuristically think
of the (deviance change)/2 as a very rough unit of improvement - under
appropriate assumptions, that's how many "noise predictors worth of
improvement" you are seeing.  If I add a single parameter and it
improves the deviance by 10, then that's about (under AIC asymptotics)
five "minimal parameters' worth" of improvement.  For the BIC, you could
use the log of the data degrees of freedom in a similar way.  It should
be stressed that these are /heuristics/, and should not be taken too
seriously, but can be helpful.  One can also consider the fractional
improvements in the deviance (as one does in the case of the R^2), and
some folks do...but these can be tricky to interpret in practice for
binary models.  Metrics have been proposed for such things, but I am not
sure that they are all that useful.  In the end, the deviance is
important as an objective function, and penalized deviance metrics are
very useful model /selection/ tools, but usually you'll be better off
actually /assessing/ models by looking at how well they do at
reproducing behaviors that are substantively important.  For ERGMs, the
gof() function is a starting point for that (though, in any given
application, one may want to use other tests).

Hope that helps,

-Carter