[statnet_help] ERGMs for multilevel/multilayer networks

Vsevolod Suschevskiy vvseva at u.northwestern.edu
Fri Nov 18 12:57:55 PST 2022

Dear statnet-users,

I am trying to study a set of networks of 3-4 agents of two types: humans
and robots. Humans could have direct ties (enjoy working with j, j is
useful) to other humans, or robots, while robots could not initiate ties.
Humans and robots have different attributes. Is there an obvious way to
approach such a network?

I am aware of Wang, P., Robins, G., Pattison, P., & Lazega, E. (2013).
Exponential random graph models for multilevel networks. Social Networks,
35(1), 96-115. implementation in MPnet, but my network has ties only at the
micro (human to human) and the meso (human to robot) levels, and the macro
level ties are impossible.

Currently, I am looking at ergm.multi, but I have not come up with a legal
way to limit human-to-human ties at the first level and human-to-robot ties
at the second level with constraints. My initial idea was to assign human
attributes to robots randomly, but this seems to introduce too much noise
to the data.

Kind regards,
Vsevolod Suschevskiy
1 year PhD student at Northwestern University