[statnet_help] question about custom frame slicing for ndtv

Adams, Jimi JIMI.ADAMS at UCDENVER.EDU
Fri Dec 2 08:28:44 PST 2022

Hi Kyle,
You can also define windows with beginning and ending stamps on the time spell. I’ve typically used the activate.vertex.attribute(onset=, terminus=) options (there are corresponding ones for edges) to accomplish this. There are other ways as well, but this is the one that made the most intuitive sense to me.

Hope that helps!
jimi

jimi adams
Professor & Director of Graduate Studies
Health & Behavioral Sciences
University of Colorado Denver

o. https://ucdenver.zoom.us/my/jimiadams<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fucdenver.zoom.us%2Fmy%2Fjimiadams&data=05%7C01%7CJIMI.ADAMS%40ucdenver.edu%7Cfa020a37745047d73b7c08da91cfbd95%7C563337caa517421aaae01aa5b414fd7f%7C0%7C0%7C637982618703311968%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=YYldEdB4tq3Kg2rYopqJsRwEIgTnmTbuf6LBjQavivM%3D&reserved=0>
e. jimi.adams at ucdenver.edu<mailto:jimi.adams at ucdenver.edu>
w. jimiadams.com

From: Kyle Quarles <kylequarles at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 6:47 AM
To: statnet_help at uw.edu; skyebend at skyeome.net
Subject: [statnet_help] question about custom frame slicing for ndtv

Hello list,

I'm a composer with an interest in using dynamic networks to understand and model musical syntax. I have a little tool I'm building for this purpose here: https://github.com/KyleQuarles/MIDI_Dynamic_Network

This question concerns the ndtv package, specifically frame slicing. In the documentation, slice.par is always an attribute list, with a consistent interval and aggregate.dur for every slice; in other words, it appears the slice.par list can only generate slices of a single size for each animation. However, I'm interested in slicing at musical phrase boundaries, which are not very consistent or regular. So my wish is for the ability to send just an arbitrary list of frames to the compute.animation function, instead of an attribute list which sets them at regular intervals. Is such a thing possible somehow? I checked the tutorial/documentation and couldn't find anything about this, but perhaps I'm not looking for the right thing.

Apologies if this is a duplicate question; the archive of questions here:
https://mailman13.u.washington.edu/mailman/private/statnet_help
is searchable, but none of the 'browse by' or download features work for me.

Thank you,
Kyle